Umarali Quvvatov expected to be extradited to Tajikistan soon
DUSHANBE, January 25, 2013, Asia-Plus -- The issue of extradition of Umarali Quvvatov to Tajikistan from Dubai will be solved within the next few days, Fattoh Saidov, the head of the Agency for State Financial Control and Combating Corruption, announced at a news conference in Dushanbe on January 25.
According to Saidov, Quvvatov, who was detained in Dubai in late December, is charged with fraud -- Article 247 (4) of Tajikistan’s Penal Code.
“Investigation has established that Quvvatov did not pay two nationals of China for delivery of 30 trucks Dulang to Tajikistan,” said Saidov. “Besides, the anticorruption agency has received applications from four citizens of Tajikistan. There are also applications from foreign citizens who claim that Quvvatov was holding them hostage.”
Umarali Quvvatov was arrested in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) on December 23, 2012 at the request of Tajik authorities. He is being accused of illegally obtaining about $1.2 million through fraudulent business activities.
His supporters, however, consider that his arrest might be politically motivated. Quvvatov set up the Group 24 opposition movement last summer.
Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reports that Quvvatov has denounced the fraud case against him and accused Tajik President Emomali Rahmon of running a “totalitarian regime.” In an open letter smuggled out of the detention center where he is being held, Umarali Quvvatov said the accusations leveled against him were “a direct consequence” of his battle against the “oppression of the Tajik people” by Rahmon's government.
-  CCER expected to start preparations for 2015 parliamentary elections in H2 2014
-  Tajik chief prosecutor’s office launches investigation into prison inmate’s death
-  International community has spent €45 mln for strengthening security on the Tajik-Afghan border
-  Chronicle: Highlights of February, 2014
-  Russia interested in stable and strong Ukraine, says Russian ambassador to Tajikistan
-  Oynihol Bobonazarova visits a number of U.S. cities to engage with the American people through IVLP
-  Tajik capital makes preparations for Navrouz celebrations
-  Tajikistan ranked the last among CA nations in terms of entrepreneurship and opportunity
-  CSTO Military Committee discusses establishment of common air-defense and anti-missile system
-  Unknown persons reportedly attempt to disrupt IRP leader’s meeting with party activists in Rumi
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
14 photo / 22 NovemberNozim Kalandarov
20 photo / 15 JuneNozim Kalandarov