Umarali Quvvatov expected to be extradited to Tajikistan soon
DUSHANBE, January 25, 2013, Asia-Plus -- The issue of extradition of Umarali Quvvatov to Tajikistan from Dubai will be solved within the next few days, Fattoh Saidov, the head of the Agency for State Financial Control and Combating Corruption, announced at a news conference in Dushanbe on January 25.
According to Saidov, Quvvatov, who was detained in Dubai in late December, is charged with fraud -- Article 247 (4) of Tajikistan’s Penal Code.
“Investigation has established that Quvvatov did not pay two nationals of China for delivery of 30 trucks Dulang to Tajikistan,” said Saidov. “Besides, the anticorruption agency has received applications from four citizens of Tajikistan. There are also applications from foreign citizens who claim that Quvvatov was holding them hostage.”
Umarali Quvvatov was arrested in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) on December 23, 2012 at the request of Tajik authorities. He is being accused of illegally obtaining about $1.2 million through fraudulent business activities.
His supporters, however, consider that his arrest might be politically motivated. Quvvatov set up the Group 24 opposition movement last summer.
Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reports that Quvvatov has denounced the fraud case against him and accused Tajik President Emomali Rahmon of running a “totalitarian regime.” In an open letter smuggled out of the detention center where he is being held, Umarali Quvvatov said the accusations leveled against him were “a direct consequence” of his battle against the “oppression of the Tajik people” by Rahmon's government.
-  In Tajikistan was discovered the dead body of Russian climber on the peak Somoni
-  The first pilgrims from Tajikistan arrived in Medina
-  NOC: Dilshod Nazarov returns to Dushanbe through Moscow
-  Woman, convicted for the murder of Boboev family members from Soghd, can grant Amnesty
-  The CoES saved the passengers of a car that has fallen into a channel in Matchin district
-  Government of Tajikistan has adopted several important laws
-  Citizen of Tajikistan, who was detained in Azerbaijan with 141 kg of heroin, is a member of the IRPT
-  Members of the Parliament of Tajikistan will take the law "On Amnesty"
-  The Prime Minister of Tajikistan met with the President of the Chinese company "TBEA"
-  The mayor of Dushanbe ordered to meet Dilshod Nazarov with dignity