Tajikistan to unfurl world’s longest flag
DUSHANBE, September 5, 2011, Asia-Plus -- Tajikistan will unfurl the world’s longest flag on September 9 as the country will celebrate the National Day.
A 2,011-meter-long flag will be displayed for the public during a military parade and a march in Dushanbe.
“The flag was made by employees of the Dushanbe-based Tajiktekstil (textile plant) and the Dushanbe mayor’s office has already lodged an application to the Guinness Book of Records,” Shavkat Saidov, a spokesman for the Dushanbe mayor’s office said.
According to him, 3,000 people will carry the flag, measuring 2,011 meters by 7 meters on September 9.
We will recall that a 165-meter flagpole hoisting Tajik national flag has already entered the Guinness Book of Records. Tajikistan’s three-color flag, measuring 60 meters by 30 meters, was officially raised up the newly erected flagpole on August 30.
The president, members of the government as well as representatives of the public and diplomatic missions accredited in Tajikistan attended the ceremony.
The new flagpole erected in Dushanbe in May entered the Guinness Book of Records. Mr. David Chambers, representative of the Guinness Book of World Records, presented the Guinness record certificate to President Emomali Rahmon.
The flagpole has been designed and installed by Trident Support, Corporation and construction of the flagpole was financed by the Tajik Aluminum Company (TALCO).
-  Update: Landslides leave 14 dead in Kulob region
-  More than 2 billion somoni worth of industrial goods produced in Tajikistan in Q1 2014
-  The Philippines grants visa-free privilege to Tajikistan
-  More than 11.6 kilos of hashish seized by Tajik customs officers last week
-  Tajikistan’s GDP for Q1 2014 estimated at more than 7.81 bln somoni
-  Majlisi Namoyandagon board discussed draft law on textbooks
-  OSCE should put torture prevention at the heart of its work on the human dimension
-  Traffic along the Dushanbe-Vahdat highway will be restricted tomorrow
-  Air fares have reportedly risen 95 percent in Tajikistan since the beginning of the year
-  Experts from CA nations gather in Tajik capital to discuss full abolition of death penalty
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
7 photo / 07 JulyNozim Kalandarov
21 photo / 27 JuneNozim Kalandarov
19 photo / 15 JuneMavjouda Hasanova
26 photo / 30 MayMavjuda Hasanova
27 photo / 18 AprilSayrahmon Nazriev
18 photo / 18 AprilNozim Kalandarov