Tajikistan to unfurl world’s longest flag
DUSHANBE, September 5, 2011, Asia-Plus -- Tajikistan will unfurl the world’s longest flag on September 9 as the country will celebrate the National Day.
A 2,011-meter-long flag will be displayed for the public during a military parade and a march in Dushanbe.
“The flag was made by employees of the Dushanbe-based Tajiktekstil (textile plant) and the Dushanbe mayor’s office has already lodged an application to the Guinness Book of Records,” Shavkat Saidov, a spokesman for the Dushanbe mayor’s office said.
According to him, 3,000 people will carry the flag, measuring 2,011 meters by 7 meters on September 9.
We will recall that a 165-meter flagpole hoisting Tajik national flag has already entered the Guinness Book of Records. Tajikistan’s three-color flag, measuring 60 meters by 30 meters, was officially raised up the newly erected flagpole on August 30.
The president, members of the government as well as representatives of the public and diplomatic missions accredited in Tajikistan attended the ceremony.
The new flagpole erected in Dushanbe in May entered the Guinness Book of Records. Mr. David Chambers, representative of the Guinness Book of World Records, presented the Guinness record certificate to President Emomali Rahmon.
The flagpole has been designed and installed by Trident Support, Corporation and construction of the flagpole was financed by the Tajik Aluminum Company (TALCO).
-  More than 950 deported Tajik migrants allowed to return to Russia
-  Rahmon congratulates Obama on Independence Day
-  UCA celebrates Summer Camp graduates
-  Ministry of transport seeks contractor for construction of three-level traffic interchange in Dushan
-  Government agencies and political parties react to IRP’s appeal
-  EU statement on political pluralism in Tajikistan
-  Tajik court issues first verdict for ISIL recruitment
-  SCO national coordinators meet in Ufa
-  Head of IRP organization in Dushanbe reportedly defects from the party under pressure
-  Over 10 kilos of hashish seized in Bobojonghafourov district yesterday
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic