Tajikistan Closed Part of the Border with Afghanistan due to Cholera Outbreak
Dushanbe. 21 August. “Asia-Plus” – Tajikistan temporarily closed all its check-points with the Afghan Badakhshan as of 19 August due to cholera epidemic in that province.
As the head of the Border Guard General Directorate of the National Security Committee press center, Khushnud Rahmatullaev, said, the measure is taken based on Tajikistan Health Ministry recommendation.
Mr. Rahmatullaev noted: “Three checkpoints connecting Tajikistan with Afghanistan, located in Darvaz and Ishkashim Districts, as well is Kharough have been closed indefinitely.”
According to media with reference to Afghan officials, approximately 1.5 thousand people have been infected with cholera in Badakhshan Province in the north-east of Afghanistan. 36 patients in serious condition have been brought to Fayzabad hospital, which is the provincial administrative center. ITAR-TASS reports that an 18-year old woman has passed away.
Due to threat of cholera epidemics spread to new districts, quarantine has been implemented in Fayzabad, where the highest number of cholera patients has been registered. Doctors warn of fatal cases, if proper treatment of patients is not carried out on-site. Numerous teams of doctors have already been sent to districts with cholera outbreak, and the whole population is receiving necessary medicines.
The provincial authorities decided to deliver clean drinking water from neighboring regions for security reasons. The Afghan local population in the countryside faces difficulties in finding clean drinking water sources. According to USAID information, only 12 percent of Afghans, living in the countryside have access to quality drinking water. Average life expectancy in Afghanistan is 50 years old and is one of the lowest in comparison with other world countries. Partially it is connected to healthcare system’s underdevelopment in the country.
The World Health Organization specialists report that although cholera is a mortally dangerous disease, death can be avoided by prompt and proper treatment.
-  Emomali Rakhmon gave a started for the construction of new medical facilities in Kulyab
-  IRP is preparing a response to the Ministry of Justice and continues to prepare for the congress
-  Abdurahmon Alamshozoda will present Tajikistan on the CMIA meeting of CIS countries in Minsk
-  The President opened a Beg Zuhurov`s Palace of Water Sports in Kulyab
-  Speaker of the lower chamber of the Tajik parliament was invited in Kuwait, Minsk and Baku
-  Returned from Syria student of the Tajik National University said to his peers that "there is no jih
-  A planet in the solar system is named after Tajikistan
-  In Tajikistan today celebrates the Day of Knowledge
-  Freedom House: Closing the IRP can lead to the violent conflicts
-  Emomali Rakhmon recalled the achievements of Kulyab in the years of independence