Tajik president named among the world’s 500 most influential Muslims
DUSHANBE, November 28, 2012, Asia-Plus - The Royal Islamic Strategic Center in Amman published The 500 Most Influential Muslims 2012 last Sunday.
This publication sets out to ascertain the influence some Muslim have on the worldwide Muslim community. Influence is: any person who has the power (be it cultural, ideological, financial, political or otherwise) to make a change that will have a significant impact on the Muslim World. The influence can be of a religious scholar directly addressing Muslims and influencing their beliefs, ideas and behavior, or it can be of a ruler shaping the socio- economic factors within which people live their lives, or of artists forming popular culture.
The publication notes that the Top 50 are dominated by religious scholars and heads of state. Their dominant and lasting influence cannot be denied, especially the rulers, who in many cases also appoint religious scholars to their respective positions. This doesn’t discount the influence from other sectors of society.
The publication selects Muslim individuals from a range of categories of influence, 14 in total: (Scholarly, Political, Administration of Religious Affairs, Preachers and Spiritual Teachers, Philanthropy/Charity and Development, Social Issues, Business, Science and Technology, Arts and Culture, Qur’an Recitors, Media, Celebrities and Sports Stars, Radicals, and Issues of the Day).
Tajik President Emomali Rahmon is also named among the world’s 500 most influential Muslims. The publication, in particular, notes that Emomali Rahmon has done much to establish a distinct Tajik identity, and has called for closer ties with other Muslim nations in the region. Tajik president was listed on TIME Magazine’s “Top 10 Autocrats in Trouble,” the publication says.
-  WB: Strong structural reforms needed to accelerate economic growth in Tajikistan
-  A December 12 attack on SDP’s head office in Dushanbe has not yet been investigated
-  Regional Working Group on Judicial Capacity discusses judicial reforms in CA nations
-  Russian physicians agree to perform surgery on Tajik soldier
-  International race dedicated to Tajik Capital City Day held on April 19
-  The number of reported fraud crimes increases in Tajikistan
-  Primary aluminum and cotton fiber remain major export items for Tajikistan
-  Tajik-Turkmen economic cooperation commission meets in Ashgabat to discuss cooperation issues
-  C-JTSCC awards contracts with Tajikistan vendors in excess of one million USD
-  Tajik government endorses the list of banks authorized to purchase arms
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
7 photo / 07 JulyNozim Kalandarov
21 photo / 27 JuneNozim Kalandarov
19 photo / 15 JuneMavjouda Hasanova
26 photo / 30 MayMavjuda Hasanova
27 photo / 18 AprilSayrahmon Nazriev
18 photo / 18 AprilNozim Kalandarov