Tajik president named among the world’s 500 most influential Muslims
DUSHANBE, November 28, 2012, Asia-Plus - The Royal Islamic Strategic Center in Amman published The 500 Most Influential Muslims 2012 last Sunday.
This publication sets out to ascertain the influence some Muslim have on the worldwide Muslim community. Influence is: any person who has the power (be it cultural, ideological, financial, political or otherwise) to make a change that will have a significant impact on the Muslim World. The influence can be of a religious scholar directly addressing Muslims and influencing their beliefs, ideas and behavior, or it can be of a ruler shaping the socio- economic factors within which people live their lives, or of artists forming popular culture.
The publication notes that the Top 50 are dominated by religious scholars and heads of state. Their dominant and lasting influence cannot be denied, especially the rulers, who in many cases also appoint religious scholars to their respective positions. This doesn’t discount the influence from other sectors of society.
The publication selects Muslim individuals from a range of categories of influence, 14 in total: (Scholarly, Political, Administration of Religious Affairs, Preachers and Spiritual Teachers, Philanthropy/Charity and Development, Social Issues, Business, Science and Technology, Arts and Culture, Qur’an Recitors, Media, Celebrities and Sports Stars, Radicals, and Issues of the Day).
Tajik President Emomali Rahmon is also named among the world’s 500 most influential Muslims. The publication, in particular, notes that Emomali Rahmon has done much to establish a distinct Tajik identity, and has called for closer ties with other Muslim nations in the region. Tajik president was listed on TIME Magazine’s “Top 10 Autocrats in Trouble,” the publication says.
-  25-Year Old Tajik Citizen Dies of Kyrgyz Border Guards’ Bullets
-  The Accounting Chamber Checked the Activities of Tethys in Tajikistan
-  Russian soldiers suspected of killing taxi driver in Tajik capital
-  Tajik Government Committee Left for Bishkek
-  Customs Services Launches Electronic Form of Declaring Goods as of 1 September
-  The New Tajik Ambassador began his Mission in Tehran
-  Over 33 Thousand Bushes of Wild Cannabis Destroyed in Badakhshan and Soghd
-  Grain Harvest Plan in Soghd Province 93.7 Per Cent Complete
-  Heavy Traffic Expected in Dushanbe: President will be Opening Facilities
-  OSCE will provide Falsified Document Identification Devices to the New Dushanbe Airport Terminal
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic