Tajik official confirms information about banning Father Frost from New Year’s broadcasts
DUSHANBE, December 11, 2013, Asia-Plus – The first deputy head of the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting under the Government of Tajikistan, Saidali Siddiqov, has confirmed information about banning Farther Frost from New Year’s broadcasts in Tajikistan.
“Father Frost, his maiden sidekick Snegurochka (Maiden Snow), and New Year’s tree will not appear on the state television this year, because these personages and attributes bear no direct relation to our national traditions, though there is no harm in them” Siddiqov told Asia-Plus in an interview on December 11.
According to him, there was no any order on that point from above. “The state TV channels have made such a decision themselves and the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting has just approved it,” Tajik official said.
He further added that all Tajik television channels would broadcast New Year’s programs.
We will recall that the “Tajikistan Joins War on Santa” item by David Trilling, which was posted on Eurasianet’s website on December 6, says that authorities in Tajikistan are forbidding Father Frost from appearing on television this holiday season. According to Eurasianet, Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reported on December 5 that the ban applies to state television.
Meanwhile, Dushanbe Mayor Mahmadsaid Ubaiduloyev on December 9 signed a decree on organizing festive activities in the city to celebrate New Year’s Eve. A 22-meter New Year’s tree is expected to be installed in Dousti Square on December 28.
The New Year’s holiday, which is entirely secular holiday, remains one of the most popular holidays throughout the former Soviet Union, celebrated with family meals and fireworks.
-  Avalanche completely destroys two residential buildings in Khorog
-  Issues of countering the threats, emanating from foreign terrorists-militants discussed in Dushanbe
-  World Bank invests in Tajikistan’s regional transport connectivity
-  FAO CO in Tajikistan organizes training session for local veterinary specialists
-  Temporary ban put on night time traffic along the Dushanbe-Khujand highway
-  Tajikistan ratifies agreement on development of Zarnisori Shimoli deposit
-  Tajikistan ratifies agreement on the Nurek Solid Waste Sub-Project
-  Remittance flows to Tajikistan decline
-  Tajikistan to boost trade and economic cooperation with UK and South Korea
-  Tajikistan ratifies agreement on the Wholesale Metering and Transmission Reinforcement Project
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic