Tajik official confirms information about banning Father Frost from New Year’s broadcasts
DUSHANBE, December 11, 2013, Asia-Plus – The first deputy head of the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting under the Government of Tajikistan, Saidali Siddiqov, has confirmed information about banning Farther Frost from New Year’s broadcasts in Tajikistan.
“Father Frost, his maiden sidekick Snegurochka (Maiden Snow), and New Year’s tree will not appear on the state television this year, because these personages and attributes bear no direct relation to our national traditions, though there is no harm in them” Siddiqov told Asia-Plus in an interview on December 11.
According to him, there was no any order on that point from above. “The state TV channels have made such a decision themselves and the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting has just approved it,” Tajik official said.
He further added that all Tajik television channels would broadcast New Year’s programs.
We will recall that the “Tajikistan Joins War on Santa” item by David Trilling, which was posted on Eurasianet’s website on December 6, says that authorities in Tajikistan are forbidding Father Frost from appearing on television this holiday season. According to Eurasianet, Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reported on December 5 that the ban applies to state television.
Meanwhile, Dushanbe Mayor Mahmadsaid Ubaiduloyev on December 9 signed a decree on organizing festive activities in the city to celebrate New Year’s Eve. A 22-meter New Year’s tree is expected to be installed in Dousti Square on December 28.
The New Year’s holiday, which is entirely secular holiday, remains one of the most popular holidays throughout the former Soviet Union, celebrated with family meals and fireworks.
-  Residential customers in rural areas gradually getting regular power supply
-  Tajik MPs attend meetings of commissions of CIS, EAEC and CSTO parliamentary assemblies
-  Air fares have reportedly risen 95 percent in Tajikistan since the beginning of the year
-  Migrants Federation asks Russian president for permission to serve in Russian army
-  Two new industrial enterprises introduced into operation in Vahdat Township
-  Guo Shengkun: SCO States are under threat of “color revolutions”
-  IRPT Political Council considers Adalatov’s Detention Planned Action Against the Party
-  IMF Mission Arrived in Dushanbe
-  Russian MFA Replied to US State Department
-  Rahman Met with the Permanent UN Coordinator
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
7 photo / 07 JulyNozim Kalandarov
21 photo / 27 JuneNozim Kalandarov
19 photo / 15 JuneMavjouda Hasanova
26 photo / 30 MayMavjuda Hasanova
27 photo / 18 AprilSayrahmon Nazriev
18 photo / 18 AprilNozim Kalandarov