Japan assists reconstruction of secondary school in Varzob district
DUSHANBE, October 27, 2011, Asia-Plus – On Wednesday October 26, Mr. Takaaki Komatsu, Third Secretary of the Embassy of Japan in Dushanbe and Mr. Akbar Yatimov, chairman of Varzob district attended a handover ceremony at Secondary School No.19 in Dehmalik Jamoat, Varzob district, Japan’s Embassy in Dushanbe said.
“The Project for Reconstruction of the Secondary School No.19 in Dehmalik Jamoat, Varzob District” with the total amount of US$106,305 funded by the Government of Japan in the framework of Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects (GGP) has been successfully completed.
The secondary school No.19 which was constructed with mud by the local community in Dehmalik jamoat in 1930 became old and inappropriate condition for education. The students could not concentrate on studying due to the dangerous environment including broken walls and water leaks from roof of the school building.
Through the project, a new school building with four classrooms and a teachers’ room was constructed and school equipment such as desks, chairs and computer sets was provided. The new building and equipment enable more than 110 school children to have access to safer and better education environment. Consequently, this project will contribute to a long-term socio-economic development for the people in Dehmalik jamoat, Varzob district.
Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects (GGP) is provided to local governments, educational/ medical institutions and International NGOs in developing countries. GGP supports projects in the human security sectors at the grassroots level. Since 1996, GGP has extended more than US$ 20.1 million for 274 projects in Tajikistan.
-  IRP activist fined 60,000 somoni for polygamy
-  Court orders border guard directorate to pay compensation to soldier
-  U.S. Government builds and furnishes school in Sughd province
-  Festive events organized to celebrate the 21st anniversary of Tajik border troops
-  SCO interior ministers to gather in Dushanbe to discuss cybercrime prevention issues
-  Resident of Hamadoni district detained with large amount of hashish in Dushanbe
-  A senior expert from Tajik think tank participates in the first CICA forum in Beijing
-  DPT intends to restore its membership in presidential body
-  Poverty in Tajikistan is highly seasonal, says WB report
-  WB: Tajikistan’s fiscal and debt positions subject to significant risks