Japan assists reconstruction of secondary school in Varzob district
DUSHANBE, October 27, 2011, Asia-Plus – On Wednesday October 26, Mr. Takaaki Komatsu, Third Secretary of the Embassy of Japan in Dushanbe and Mr. Akbar Yatimov, chairman of Varzob district attended a handover ceremony at Secondary School No.19 in Dehmalik Jamoat, Varzob district, Japan’s Embassy in Dushanbe said.
“The Project for Reconstruction of the Secondary School No.19 in Dehmalik Jamoat, Varzob District” with the total amount of US$106,305 funded by the Government of Japan in the framework of Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects (GGP) has been successfully completed.
The secondary school No.19 which was constructed with mud by the local community in Dehmalik jamoat in 1930 became old and inappropriate condition for education. The students could not concentrate on studying due to the dangerous environment including broken walls and water leaks from roof of the school building.
Through the project, a new school building with four classrooms and a teachers’ room was constructed and school equipment such as desks, chairs and computer sets was provided. The new building and equipment enable more than 110 school children to have access to safer and better education environment. Consequently, this project will contribute to a long-term socio-economic development for the people in Dehmalik jamoat, Varzob district.
Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects (GGP) is provided to local governments, educational/ medical institutions and International NGOs in developing countries. GGP supports projects in the human security sectors at the grassroots level. Since 1996, GGP has extended more than US$ 20.1 million for 274 projects in Tajikistan.
-  MSF demands explanations after deadly airstrikes hit hospital in Kunduz
-  Brother of late prominent commander of Popular Front returns to Tajikistan after seven years
-  International economic forum kicks off in Dushanbe and Hisor
-  World Bank re-estimates the international poverty line
-  Tajik parliament speaker meets his Russian and Kazakh counterparts in Astana
-  Workshop on inclusive education takes place in Dushanbe
-  Japan’s PM expected to visit Tajikistan this month
-  Russia beefs up its base in Tajikistan with attack helicopters
-  More than 240,000 foreign tourists visited Tajikistan in Jan-Sept this year
-  UNCTAD: World needs new monetary and financial system for sustainable development era