Internet providers make statement over blockage of access to websites
DUSHANBE, March 6, 2012, Asia-Plus – The Association of Internet Providers of Tajikistan has made a statement over the blockage of access to a number of websites, including Facebook.
The statement, in particular, says that local Internet service providing companies received official verbal or written notice from the Communications Service to block access to a number of websites “in connection with prophylactic technical work.”
The Association notes that it is against introduced restrictions and calls on the country’s leadership and international community to pay attention to that problem and assist with solving it. The Association also applies to the Communications Service under the Government of Tajikistan with solicitation to revoke its notice on blocking access to the websites.
According to the Association of Interne Providers of Tajikistan, restriction of access to social network services will lead to exclusion of local users and producers of information products from such networks that will affect development of Tajikistan’s information space.
We will recall that the letter signed by one of deputy chairpersons of the Communications Service and released on March 2, in particular, asks Tajik Internet service providing companies to block access to Facebook.com, zvezda.ru, tjknews.com, maxala.org and centrasia.ru “in connection with prophylactic technical work.”
Residents of Tajikistan have not been able to access a number of independent websites, including Facebook, since last Saturday.
-  Tajikistan not the best place to grow old
-  Tajik parliament speaker attends the inauguration of Ashraf Ghani, President-elect of Afghanistan
-  OSCE trains Tajik investigators on tackling money-laundering and corruption-related crimes
-  Parliament endorses amendments exempting building materials for Sheraton Dushanbe Hotel from taxes
-  Dushanbe hosts regional meeting to discuss HCFC phase-out issues
-  EDB: Outside investors unwilling to invest in Tajikistan due to high political risk
-  Asian Express Airlines lunches flights from Dushanbe to Astrakhan
-  Tajik media watchdog says the fatwa against anti-government agitation not obligatory
-  Tajikistan introduces electricity rationing on October 1
-  Experts address Resolution to the heads of CA countries for enhancing handicraft sector in the regio