Friends of Water Group meets in New York to discuss water resource management issues
DUSHANBE, March 20, 2012, Asia-Plus -- Friends of Water Group met at the Permanent Mission of Tajikistan to the United Nations in New York on March 19.
According to a statement released by Tajikistan’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, the meeting brought together more than 70 representatives from Permanent Missions of the UN Member States as well as representatives from relevant UN agencies and institutions to discuss cooperation in managing water recourses.
The theme of the meeting was “Water and Green Economy.”
In a statement delivered at the meeting, Tajik Deputy Minister of land Reclamation and Water Resources, Sulton Rahimov, reportedly drew attention of those present to the main role of water in the green economy for catalyzing economic growth and social development, economic instruments and the role of institutions for water management.
Tajik official pointed to the necessity of expanding international cooperation and partnership in jointly using water resources.
Mr. Kenzo Hiroki, Adviser, United nations SG’s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation (UNGSAB), shared his opinion on the theme of “Green Growth with Blue.”
He said that water is one of the main components of “green development” and noted that the UN member nations should improve ways of efficient use of water and take practical measures to minimize negative impact of water during floods and other disasters. Mr. Kenzo Hiroki underlined the necessity of expanding regional and international cooperation for implementation of all aspects of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The meeting participants exchanged views on issues related to water and “green economy,” the source said.
The meeting was reportedly held for the purpose of making preparations for the RIO+20 Sustainable Development Conference.
This year, the United Nations will convene the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, also known as Rio 2012 or Rio+20, hosted by Brazil in Rio de Janeiro, as a 20-year follow-up to the historic 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) that was held in the same city. The conference is organized by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
Rio+20 is a key milestone in a series of major United Nations conferences, in which the 1992 Earth Summit / United Nations Conference on Environment and Development was the centerpiece, putting sustainable development as a top priority on the agenda of the United Nations and the international community.
-  Remittance flows from Russia to Tajikistan decline inconsiderably, says Tajik central bank head
-  Russian social network site partially blocked in Tajikistan?
-  Mobile banking reportedly introduced in Tajikistan
-  Current gold and currency reserves of Tajikistan estimated at 1.147 billion USD
-  ‘Mr. Sodiqov had contact with some negative people in Tajikistan,’ says Tajik FM
-  Tajik national air carrier chief fired straight after his news conference
-  Tajik government merges national air carrier and Dushanbe airport
-  Many Tajiks unable to access popular Russian social-media site
-  Tajik president receives federal minister for water and power of Pakistan
-  Asian Express Airlines chief replaced
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
Photo coverage is not