Chormaghzak Tunnel renamed Khatlon Tunnel and Shar-Shar Tunnel renamed Ozodi Tunnel
DUSHANBE, February 12, 2014, Asia-Plus -- By government’s decree the Chormaghzak Tunnel was renamed Khatlon Tunnel.
The 4,430-kilometer Chormaghzak Tunnel, which is part of the Dushanbe-Vahdat-Danghara highway construction project, was introduced into operation on October 1, 2013. The tunnel has been constructed with the help of China. China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) was the general contractor.
The tunnel has been dug under the Chormaghzak Pass, which is located some 35-40 kilometers southeast of Dushanbe. The estimated budget for construction of the Chormaghzak Tunnel is 68 million USD.
Besides, the Shar-Shar Tunnel was renamed Ozodi (Freedom) Tunnel. An official opening of this tunnel was held on August 30, 2009.
The tunnel, which is part of the road that runs from Dushanbe through Vahdat to Khatlon’s Danghara district, was also built with the help of China.
The construction of the Shar-Shar Tunnel, which is a 2,224 meters long tunnel, began in October 2006 and China provided a US$36 million grant for this project.
-  Training on management, marketing and export for BIOs being held in Dushanbe
-  Aslov leads Tajik delegation at Heart of Asia Ministerial Meeting in Beijing
-  Tajikistan reportedly reaches 83.3 percent of autumn conscription campaign target by Oct 31
-  Key reforms in higher education discussed in Dushanbe
-  ODIHR representatives visit Tajikistan
-  Tajikistan blocks access to the Facebook social network again
-  “Qatari Diar”: Now is the time to invest in Tajikistan
-  French military contingent leaves Tajikistan
-  Tajik, Uzbek vice-premiers discuss cooperation issues
-  21 Asian countries sign a memorandum of understanding on establishing AIIB