Chormaghzak Tunnel renamed Khatlon Tunnel and Shar-Shar Tunnel renamed Ozodi Tunnel
DUSHANBE, February 12, 2014, Asia-Plus -- By government’s decree the Chormaghzak Tunnel was renamed Khatlon Tunnel.
The 4,430-kilometer Chormaghzak Tunnel, which is part of the Dushanbe-Vahdat-Danghara highway construction project, was introduced into operation on October 1, 2013. The tunnel has been constructed with the help of China. China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) was the general contractor.
The tunnel has been dug under the Chormaghzak Pass, which is located some 35-40 kilometers southeast of Dushanbe. The estimated budget for construction of the Chormaghzak Tunnel is 68 million USD.
Besides, the Shar-Shar Tunnel was renamed Ozodi (Freedom) Tunnel. An official opening of this tunnel was held on August 30, 2009.
The tunnel, which is part of the road that runs from Dushanbe through Vahdat to Khatlon’s Danghara district, was also built with the help of China.
The construction of the Shar-Shar Tunnel, which is a 2,224 meters long tunnel, began in October 2006 and China provided a US$36 million grant for this project.
-  Russia beefs up its base in Tajikistan with attack helicopters
-  Afghanistan seeks full membership in the SCO
-  Majlisi Namoyandagon board discusses amendments proposed to the law on licensing system
-  US commander says Afghan forces requested deadly Kunduz hospital air strike
-  More than 30 Iranian entrepreneurs confirm their participation in Dushanbe International Business Fo
-  Ex-head of Fononbank arrested on suspicion of having links to the mutinous general
-  International economic forum kicks off in Dushanbe and Hisor
-  Interior minister meets with activists of the “Avangard” group
-  Tajikistan reaches more than 40 percent of 2015 cotton target
-  Russia cancels strikes on IS militants when they hide among population