Chormaghzak Tunnel renamed Khatlon Tunnel and Shar-Shar Tunnel renamed Ozodi Tunnel
DUSHANBE, February 12, 2014, Asia-Plus -- By government’s decree the Chormaghzak Tunnel was renamed Khatlon Tunnel.
The 4,430-kilometer Chormaghzak Tunnel, which is part of the Dushanbe-Vahdat-Danghara highway construction project, was introduced into operation on October 1, 2013. The tunnel has been constructed with the help of China. China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) was the general contractor.
The tunnel has been dug under the Chormaghzak Pass, which is located some 35-40 kilometers southeast of Dushanbe. The estimated budget for construction of the Chormaghzak Tunnel is 68 million USD.
Besides, the Shar-Shar Tunnel was renamed Ozodi (Freedom) Tunnel. An official opening of this tunnel was held on August 30, 2009.
The tunnel, which is part of the road that runs from Dushanbe through Vahdat to Khatlon’s Danghara district, was also built with the help of China.
The construction of the Shar-Shar Tunnel, which is a 2,224 meters long tunnel, began in October 2006 and China provided a US$36 million grant for this project.
-  Ubaidulloyev reelected Majlisi Milli speaker
-  Tajik employees of Russian base protest over unpaid wages
-  Training on data quality and utilization and evidence decision making
-  World Bank: Tajikistan is the world’s most remittance dependent country
-  Governors of Sughd and Gorno Badakhshan elected deputy chairmen of the parliament upper house
-  Iran will comply with its international nuclear power commitments, says Iranian president
-  Tajik-Iranian economic cooperation discussed in Tehran
-  Iran ready to transfer medical know-how to Tajikistan
-  QNet closes its office in Tajikistan
-  Rahmon attends groundbreaking ceremony construction of communication services complex