BBC reporter released under written undertaking not to leave the place
DUSHANBE, July 14, 2011, Asia-Plus – The Prosecutor-General’s Office has changed a measure of restraint for the BBC reporter Urunboy Usmonov who was taken into custody one month ago.
Prosecutor-General Sherkhon Salimzoda told Asia-Plus by phone Thursday afternoon that he has signed an order for Usmonov's release on condition that he does not leave the city of Khujand, the capital of the northern Sughd province.
“Prosecutors have studied criminal proceedings instituted against Usmonov and have come to a conclusion that investigation may be continued without holding the suspect in custody,” Salimzoda said noting that Usmonov will be released by the end of the day.
Urunboy Usmonov, 60, was detained on June 13 and accused of belonging to the banned Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which he denies. Investigators have since dropped two initial charges. They had originally accused Usmonov of being a member of Hizb-ut-Tahrir and of making “public calls to forcibly change the constitutional system of Tajikistan.” The journalist is being charged with failing to report the activities of the Hizb ut-Tahrir group to the Tajik law enforcement authorities.
On July 12, Prosecutor-General Sherkhon Salimzoda told reporters in Dushanbe that the State Committee for National Security (SCNS)’s office in Sughd province had completed its investigation against Usmonov and sent the case to the Sughd regional prosecutor's office for review. He also said that he had asked the SCNS to send a summary of the case to President Emomali Rahmon.
Urunboy Usmonov has worked for the BBC for about 10 years.
-  Tajik PM meets his Kazakh and Afghan counterparts in Astana
-  Two arrested in Vahdat for illegally teaching Islamic studies to children
-  More than 36,000 people reportedly provided with jobs in Tajikistan in Jan-Nov 2014
-  APT puts its hopes in rural residents in the 2015 parliamentary election
-  All Candidates to the Tajik Parliament will go through Police Background Check
-  Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Tajikistan forecasts the rise in the price of wheat an
-  Following Russia the Ruble Collapsed in Tajikistan too
-  Tajikistan Increased Electricity Supply to Afghanistan
-  Ministry of Defense: Penjikent Commander Removed from Office in connection with the beating a Conscr
-  Tajikistan increases Coal Production