BBC reporter released under written undertaking not to leave the place
DUSHANBE, July 14, 2011, Asia-Plus – The Prosecutor-General’s Office has changed a measure of restraint for the BBC reporter Urunboy Usmonov who was taken into custody one month ago.
Prosecutor-General Sherkhon Salimzoda told Asia-Plus by phone Thursday afternoon that he has signed an order for Usmonov's release on condition that he does not leave the city of Khujand, the capital of the northern Sughd province.
“Prosecutors have studied criminal proceedings instituted against Usmonov and have come to a conclusion that investigation may be continued without holding the suspect in custody,” Salimzoda said noting that Usmonov will be released by the end of the day.
Urunboy Usmonov, 60, was detained on June 13 and accused of belonging to the banned Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which he denies. Investigators have since dropped two initial charges. They had originally accused Usmonov of being a member of Hizb-ut-Tahrir and of making “public calls to forcibly change the constitutional system of Tajikistan.” The journalist is being charged with failing to report the activities of the Hizb ut-Tahrir group to the Tajik law enforcement authorities.
On July 12, Prosecutor-General Sherkhon Salimzoda told reporters in Dushanbe that the State Committee for National Security (SCNS)’s office in Sughd province had completed its investigation against Usmonov and sent the case to the Sughd regional prosecutor's office for review. He also said that he had asked the SCNS to send a summary of the case to President Emomali Rahmon.
Urunboy Usmonov has worked for the BBC for about 10 years.
-  Three members of Tajikistan’s upper house of parliament will resign before the end of the year
-  Resident of Shouroobod detained with more than 43 kilos of narcotics
-  MFA exempted from paying VAT on delivery of blank biometric passports to the country
-  Rustam Emomali future successor to Emomali Rahmon?
-  Tajikistan’s cotton exports decline more than 22 percent in Jan-Oct 2013
-  Meeting to discuss development of Tajikistan’s tourism industry takes place Dushanbe tomorrow
-  Meeting on assessment studies for CASA 1000 Project held in Dushanbe
-  More than 19 bln USD remitted to banks in Tajikistan over the past decade
-  Dushanbe mayor receives commander of Russian military base in Tajikistan
-  ITC bridges tourism to creative industries in Tajikistan
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
14 photo / 22 NovemberNozim Kalandarov
20 photo / 15 JuneNozim Kalandarov