245,000 foreign tourists visited Tajikistan last year
DUSHANBE, January 7, 2013, Asia-Plus -- In a report released at a news conference in Dushanbe, Maliksho Nematov, head of Committee for Youth, Sports and Tourism Affairs under the Government Tajikistan, noted on January 7 that 51 events were planned to be held last year.
“Nineteen events were already held and thirty-one others are still under implementation,” said Nematov. “Only one planned event was not implemented.”
To develop tourism and related industries, the committee is seeking cooperation with international tourist companies and creating Tajikistan’s familiarization corners in other countries, he noted.
“344,000 foreign citizens visited Tajikistan last year; 245,000 of them are tourists, which is 62,000 people more than in 2011,” Nematov said, pointing to the necessity of improvement of infrastructure, advertising and service sector in the country.
-  Tajikistan becoming increasingly dependent on China
-  Mass brawl breaks out between Dagestanis and Central Asians at construction site in Leningrad oblast
-  Bank Eskhata offers agricultural loan product to its customers
-  Trial of two alleged Salafists starts in northern Tajikistan
-  Conference dedicated to the closure of GIZ FFPSD/GREAT Program held in Dushanbe