245,000 foreign tourists visited Tajikistan last year
DUSHANBE, January 7, 2013, Asia-Plus -- In a report released at a news conference in Dushanbe, Maliksho Nematov, head of Committee for Youth, Sports and Tourism Affairs under the Government Tajikistan, noted on January 7 that 51 events were planned to be held last year.
“Nineteen events were already held and thirty-one others are still under implementation,” said Nematov. “Only one planned event was not implemented.”
To develop tourism and related industries, the committee is seeking cooperation with international tourist companies and creating Tajikistan’s familiarization corners in other countries, he noted.
“344,000 foreign citizens visited Tajikistan last year; 245,000 of them are tourists, which is 62,000 people more than in 2011,” Nematov said, pointing to the necessity of improvement of infrastructure, advertising and service sector in the country.
-  11th session of SCO forum opens in Dushanbe today
-  Prisoner’s mother demands compensation from penitentiary department for her son’s death
-  Tajik government plans to sell its share packages in 31 joint-stock companies by auction
-  New 500 kW substation introduced into operation at Norak HPP today
-  Russia sees impoverished Tajikistan as fertile ground for IS militants
-  Tajik, Afghan, U.S. officials meet in Dushanbe to support mine-free Afghanistan
-  Seminar on website development conducted for Tajik textile and clothing companies in Dushanbe
-  Tajik diplomat meets CIS executive secretary to discuss Tajik constitutional referendum
-  Not 15 but only 4 sites in Dushanbe considered to be of cultural significance
-  Share of Tajik migrants currently working reportedly begins climbing