245,000 foreign tourists visited Tajikistan last year
DUSHANBE, January 7, 2013, Asia-Plus -- In a report released at a news conference in Dushanbe, Maliksho Nematov, head of Committee for Youth, Sports and Tourism Affairs under the Government Tajikistan, noted on January 7 that 51 events were planned to be held last year.
“Nineteen events were already held and thirty-one others are still under implementation,” said Nematov. “Only one planned event was not implemented.”
To develop tourism and related industries, the committee is seeking cooperation with international tourist companies and creating Tajikistan’s familiarization corners in other countries, he noted.
“344,000 foreign citizens visited Tajikistan last year; 245,000 of them are tourists, which is 62,000 people more than in 2011,” Nematov said, pointing to the necessity of improvement of infrastructure, advertising and service sector in the country.
-  Two residents of Sarband fighting in Syria, says Sarband mayor
-  Greek singer Demis Roussos dead at 68
-  Three Tajiks reportedly killed in a terrorist attack at the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli
-  Children’s ombudsman institution expected to be created in Tajikistan
-  Chief military recruitment officer arrested for alleged bribe-taking
-  Tajik president, Russian senior military official discuss Tajikistan-Russia military cooperation
-  Isil militants test Central Asia’s borders for strength
-  U.S. government hands over heavy machinery to water users associations in southern Tajikistan
-  Dushanbe, Tehran expected to set up working group for IATKC railway project
-  GIZ Tajikistan expected to host an interactive training on strategic banking next month